Monday, April 13, 2009

What Comes Now?

I feel like I have done quite a bit of research and planning these past four years. And now I am getting to where the rubber meets the road. Things are a little more daunting at this stage- finding and hiring a graphic designer for this entity that has lived only in my imagination; paying a printer for a run of sample copies; finding an affordable yet robust web site design; beginning the marketing stage. And the list goes on...

Currently my priorities are:

Graphic Designer
Right now I am meeting with graphic designers to find the one who can create the brand for the magazine and web site. Once the branding is complete I can start with getting sample copies of the magazine made and begin approaching potential advertisers.

Events
There are two big events in May. The first is the National Stationery Show in New York from 5/17 to 5/20. This is an annual event that draws 1,000 exhibitors and over 14,000 buyers.

Since I won't have a web site or a sample copy yet, my plan is to create a brief web survey asking stationery designers and store owners how this magazine can best serve them. This will introduce them to the future publication and will ideally partner with some them in the future to promote letter and journal writing.

I will also get names, addresses and email addresses from potential subscribers since many of these people probably have the same affiliation for their product as I do.

The second event is the Minnesota Magazine and Publications' Association annual Summit and Expo on Thursday, May 21 in Minneapolis. I went to this conference last year and found it very worthwhile. I listened to Samir Husni speak about everything to do with magazines and I took away a boat load of great information and action items that I was able to follow up on.

No comments: