Monday, January 3, 2011

Edward Gorey Postcard #1

The Edward Gorey Postcard Calendar includes 26 postcards in the spiral bound postcard size book. I mentioned that I purchased one of these calendars in this blog and Julie (aka Okami) suggested that I post a picture of each of the postcards as I prepare to send them throughout the year.

'What a great idea!' I thought. And here we are with the first card going out in tomorrow's mail. I decided to send the first postcard to Pamela in CA as I am behind in my correspondence with her.

(Thanks for the suggestion, Julie!)

For those of you not familiar with Edward Gorey he is the creator of the wonderful animated opening to the PBS series 'Mystery' that has been around for many years.
Set in a vaguely Edwardian time frame with a decidedly English overtone, Gorey's work shows the influence of his love for British literature. Ill-fated children with baleful faces, anthropomorphic creatures of untraceable biological lineage, shadowy adults on the verge of mysterious errands; these are but a few of the intriguing characters who habituate Gorey's world.
A nice bonus is that for each postcard that is featured in the calendar, there is a miniature reference to the postcard on the following page, with an image from the card (shown below).

If you'd like to purchase your own Edward Gorey Postcard Calendar 2011, I've seen them for half off Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Anyone who would like to receive a postcard from this collection, leave a comment with your email and I will see what I can do.

1 comment:

Eliza Ward said...

Ah, thanks for the reminder! I saw that calendar at the Bob Slate Store in Cambridge, Mass back in August, and was so excited that I bought it right away... and then boxed it away and forgot about it. Time to bring it out into the light! It sounds like you'll be sending all of your postcards. I think I'm too greedy, and will hold onto mine!