Saturday, August 22, 2009

Pen and Ink Swap

I happened to comment on the Asda fountain pen that Sam reviewed in his blog at Future: Nostalgic that I wish we had that particular pen in the US. Lo and behold, we had worked out a trade and look at all of the goodies I got from the UK!

It's hard to pick a favorite. The Asda fountain pen (far left in the blue package) is a lightweight pen that comes with ink cartridges and has an excellent fine tip writing point, which I love. You can read Sam's review of this pen at his blog.

The Inoxcrom pen in the package on the right was a heftier fountain pen with a nicely weighted feel, but I found that the pen wrote a little hesitatingly. I like rich smooth flow of ink. Maybe I will experiment with different inks, like Sam did with his Parker 61 (which is on my wish list) to see if that will help.

The Pilot B2P is a new gel roller where the pen body is made from plastic bottles. It has a fine point (0.7) and a thick, easy flow of ink, which I prefer. It's a smooth writing retractable pen which is great for portability.

Probably my favorite is the Pentel Fine Style ballpoint pen. Although the flow is not thick or generous, it's a smooth writing fine point that's light weight and consistent. It has a slim design and a comfortable barrel.

As an added bonus, Sam included an Oxford notebook. This is a quality notebook with a hard cover and the smooth-lined pages. Naturally, I tested each of the pens on the paper and am very happy with the results. I should have added a picture, but it's pretty scribbly as I wasn't planning to take a photo when I was trying out the different pens. Next time I will know better!

Thanks, Sam, for adding to my collection/addiction!

4 comments:

Sam said...

Great post and thanks for the plug for Future; Nostalgic. It was a great swap, thanks so much. :)

School Supplies Sleuth said...

You should have titled the post: "The Best Kind of Pen Pal" - ha ha, pun intended.

Michael K. Gause said...

Hey, I'm a fellow Minnesotan, pen and paper enthusiast, writer, and aesthete. I read about your ink swap with Sam at Future; Nostalgic. Always looking to try new ink, especially Noodlers...especially Zhivago. Let me know if you have anything you might want to trade. Then I'll see what I have. Happy journaling!

daniel john said...

it's great to see fresh, creative ideas that have never been done before.
Term Paper