Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Edward Gorey Postcard #2

This year I am sending a postcard every other week from this gorgeous Edward Gorey Postcard calendar, which has 26 postcards interspersed throughout the pages. I first wrote about this on Jan. 3, 2011 (Postcard #1).

This week's illustration looks like a family who is serious about their knitwear. And if they were in MN this week, they would need every ounce of covering as the temps hover around 2 degrees.
The calendar's creator, an astute artist, was wise enough to put a portion of the postcard on a page in the calendar so that once the postcard is removed and sent on its way, you still have an image of something from the card, like this young person (below) enveloped in a winter scarf.

I selected the card's recipient, wrote a short note, found a colorful stamp, took this photo (while being sure to cover the address using an old family photo that sits on my desk) and popped the card into the local USPS mail drop. That was fun!
Check back in 2 weeks to see Edward Gorey Postcard #3.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of Edward Gorey. I was introduced to his work in my high school art classes, but I haven't thought about him in a while. Thank you for posting pictures and reminding me!

I'm very happy to have found your blog!

Sara said...

I'm in love with this postcard.
I'm very grateful to be the recipient.
Stay warm and take care ♥

Jackie Flaherty said...

I'm glad you like it. The knitting made me think of you.