Monday, March 19, 2018

My First Hobonichi Original

I love planners and every year I have more than I can possibly use, although I do try to use them all. I've decided to start reviewing them and sharing what I like, what works for me as well as what I'm not so fond of - plannerwise.

This versatile day planner can be used as a diary, bullet journal, photo album, a memory tracker, scrapbook, list keeper and so much more.

At Planner Con 2018, I was delighted to purchase my first ever Hobonichi Techo Planner Book for 2018 and I love it! I've only been using it since the beginning of March and it is awesome!
I love the size (A6), the clear doodle cover I purchased as well as the purchased blue case to hold the planner. I love the ultra thin pages that are so smooth to write on. I prefer to use a fine point pen and this planner is perfect for that. I love, love, love this paper!
The planner itself is a 4.1 x 5.8 softback book that fits neatly into the purchased blue cover as shown below. The clear Tokyo cover goes over the blue hardback cover, so it's a 3-tiered system that can all be bought separately online (Amazon, Etsy, etc) or at stationery stores. There are two bookmarks attached to the planner. I use one at the front for the monthly calendar, and the second bookmark for the daily tracker.
Mine is the English version, rather than the Japanese edition.
You can see an overview of the year by month at the beginning of the book.Sundays are in RED.
After the annual overview, there are the monthly pages,and then the daily pages.
On each of the daily pages, is a quote on the left hand side of the page with a description of the context of the quote on the right hand side of the page. In the Japanese version the quotes are in Japanese so are meaningless if you don't read Japanese :)
With the pens I've used so far, there has been no bleed-through, but there's a warning on the Hobonichi website to test fountain pens first as some pens or inks can bleed through.
Do any of you have a Hobonichi? What do you think?





2 comments:

Judy H said...

I am on my second year of using a Hobonichi Cousin (the larger size) It's my 'bible' and already looking stuffed and lived in. This year I also bought a Techo (the original) and a Weeks (the weekly calendar). The first is for recording items for my at-home work and the Weeks is my spending calendar. I also bought the 5-year Hobonichi and am loving recording a tiny bit each day. Hopefully, I can keep it up for 5 years. But I love, love Hobonichi after having been in just about every type of planner around over the years.

Jackie Flaherty said...

Judy, that is awesome! I debated about getting the Weeks, but opted to start with the original. I like the 5 yr one and may look into getting that. Thanks for sharing. So fun to see how others use their planners!